Thursday, October 21, 2010

Object and Subjective

I choose to go back and think about the difference between subjective and objective. I think this is an important differentiation because most people have a hard time distinguishing one from another when used in conversation. I found a site that had a great piece on this subject, and they open with the following statement:

“In stories, newspapers, and the spoken word, people all over the world are trying to convince you to think as they do. They are bombarding you with facts and figures, opinions and projections. It is up to you to create order within this chaos and find the patterns that will help you to understand what is true, what could be true, and what is outright false. In order to do all this, you need to have a firm grip on what is objective and what is subjective.”

The article continues by defining the differences, and moves on to explain when someone should be objective and when someone should be subjective. Basically objectivity should be used when we are discussing any sort of “rational decision,” and subjectivity when “nothing tangible is at stake.”


Read more: Difference Between Objective and Subjective | Difference Between | Objective vs Subjective http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-objective-and-subjective/#ixzz1309tmXTM

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog. I like that you choose to explore a subject that we come across everyday so that it will help others to realize when people are trying to persuade them to agree with their opinion. Your blog reminds me a lot of the last group assignment we had where in one section we had to accept, reject, or suspend judgment. It was hard for me to decide which to do because the organization used such good arguments and persuasion to get people to join their cause. Had I read your blog before I might have thought differently about which option I choose.

    ReplyDelete