Monday, October 4, 2010

Chapter 6

One of the things I laugh at most is when my wife, friend or colleague tells me that we are going to have to make a choice between two things because we can’t do everything. I laugh because they tend to state the things I want to do only, and forget about everything else. This is called a false dilemma, and the book describes it as, “a bad use of excluding possibilities where the ‘or’ claim is false or implausible.” (p. 118)

Another topic that I enjoyed from chapter 6 is the slippery slope argument. The text says, “A slipper slope argument is a bad argument that uses a chain of conditionals, at least one of which is false or dubious.” (p. 133) We see this happen when people are trying to justify reasons not to do something, and stating long term implications that are based on a chain of events. A will cause b, and that will set of S which will eventually lead to Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment