Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Exercise 3 on Page 195

I chose to look at the third exercise on page 195. The question is, “Find an advertisement that uses an appeal to fear. Is it a good argument?” (p. 195) The advertisement that I found is targeted towards parents with children that have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD. The add starts off by noting that the child’s homework is late again, and then the teacher calls again, and finally the parent starts crying. They are afraid that if they don’t do something then their child will continue to have trouble in school, and in life. The picture on the screen is of a single backpack on a chair in an empty school room. I think this is an effective argument in so much as I would be afraid of what the future holds for both my child and myself without help. Those that have experience ADHD or ADD can understand the impossible nature of the affliction.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/27813/fear_appeal_messages_and_their_effectiveness.html?cat=70

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Wow, your example was strong and powerful. I liked it. The way you explained it, emotionally touched me. The ad on the other hand brought back some of my high school memories. I did my high school in India. Teachers in India are cruel and harsh ! They will beat you back home if you do not finish an assignment. They indirectly send a message to the parents this way. This is one the main reasons many students drop out of school in India, because of the fear of failing over and over again with the added pressure of teachers. The parents are literally helpless when it comes to their child's education. Nevertheless, I like your post :)

    ReplyDelete